Mistaken Identity

I may have already told you this story, if so forgive the repeat. But today has been a day of reflection for me...not sure why. Perhaps I may just be listening to God more today than usual. I believe He talks to us all the time, if we would just listen. Most of the time we are too busy. But the Holy Spirit keeps on trying to speak to us.

The story I'm about to tell you is true. This happened when I was in my 30's, and I had just been saved the previous year. We had just gotten custody of my step son. He was 16, and out of control. We took him to church, and it seemed to help for awhile, but he was like the birds that flew away from the seed. He had several girl friends, none of whom he was very nice to. I always encouraged him to bring them home so we could meet them. One in particular I was very fond of. She was so sweet, and I knew right away that she came from an abusive back ground. God has always given me the instinct of knowing things like this. It was nothing she said, but I felt it.

It didn't take long for my step son to hurt her, and she didn't come around anymore. I always kept her in my prayers...she had touched my heart. When something like this happens, you know God has placed that person in your path for some reason. It's not in our makeup to be drawn to someone, and to feel God's love for them without even knowing them. At the time we lived in a small town, where everyone knows everyone. Someone at the school told me that that little girl was killed in an automobile accident. She was only 16 years old. I was devastated. By the time I found out, the funeral was over. My step son was at his Mom's at the time, so I didn't have him to confirm it.

My first thoughts were, was she saved? I hadn't witnessed to her, and how I wished I had! A few days later after finding out this news, I went to the grocery store to do some shopping. To my amazement, there was that little girl coming out of the store! I couldn't believe it! I ran up to her, and gave her a big hug, and began crying. I told her how glad I was to see her! Of course she knew something was up. and asked. I'm one of those people that blurts out things without thinking...and told her exactly what I had heard. As soon as the words were out of my mouth...it was too late to take them back.

The shock on her face, you can well imagine. By then it was out that I thought she had been killed. So then I told her I had worried because I didn't know if she were saved. She assured me she was saved....and went to church. I told her I was so glad she was all right, and saved. We hugged one more time and left. I just knew she thought I was a blundering idiot! Before this I had beat myself up for not witnessing to her, this time FOR witnessing to her. She had to think I was a nut case! I wondered why God had placed her on my heart so much....when obviously she was saved and alive.

Another week passed....and something absolutely horrible happened. The little girl that I had just talked to in the store...had been killed in a motorcycle accident. She was riding on back of her friends motorcycle, and was struck by a car. They both died instantly. The whole thing was unthinkable. What had just happened?

I went to the funeral a few days later. A young pastor gave the benediction. It was unlike any funeral I had ever attended. The whole place was packed with young people. People were standing for lack of room to sit. The pastor began speaking about how he had known the girl for a few years. She had had a hard life growing up. One day she went up to the alter to be saved. He said he hadn't seen her for awhile. Then a few days before she was killed, she had called him and wanted to talk. She told him that she had felt that she had gone away from God. She rededicated herself to the Lord. He told how amazing it was to know she was in deed saved. The rest of the sermon was a salvation message. I'm sure a lot of young people that day were saved.

When I think back on these events, I see the hand of God. I also know how vain it was for me to feel "silly" for talking to her that day. God has everything under control. He can even use a "silly" vain creature like me to help someone in need. She was such a special little girl, I think God wanted to keep her close to Him...and heal her of the past for good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Evil Pencil Cactus

Saga of the Cootie!